Here’s another staple to add to your grilling repertoire. This simple recipe is all about technique. Tossing the potatoes with olive oil and seasonings, and then partially cooking them in the microwave does two things. 1) It greatly reduces the grilling (and babysitting, and flipping) time. And 2) It results in a much crispier grill fry. Isn’t that what we all want? A crispy fry without the deep-fried guilt?
Many folks don’t know this, but to make french fries crispy, they’re fried twice; once at a low oil temp (a step called “oil-blanching”), and once again at a high oil temp. Fries that haven’t been oil-blanched tend to be limp, heavy, and soggy with oil. Microwaving these grill fries with the oil achieves a similar effect of a delightfully crispy exterior. And as an added benefit, it further infuses the seasonings into the potatoes. It also makes it easier to hold the potatoes until you’re ready to grill them, without worry of them oxidizing and turning brown. Just follow the instructions and you’re good to go!
Recipe : Crispy Grill Fries
These JoJo-style fries are a well-loved summertime staple at the Ranchito. They are well-seasoned and delicious plain, or served with fry sauce, ketchup, or your favorite aioli.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (or substitute regular paprika)
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (like Lawry’s or Johnny’s)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, and then cut each half into 4 equal wedges so you end up with 8 wedges per potato.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large, microwave-safe bowl and stir to combine. Add potato wedges and toss by hand, making sure the potatoes are evenly coated. Microwave on high 3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. Preheat grill to a medium flame. Grill 10 to 15 minutes, turning frequently, until crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Remove from grill and serve immediately.