This delicious and satisfying recipe is also healthy and allergy friendly. Adapted from the Jan/Feb issue of Women’s Health.
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (Mirin) or sake
- 2 small ripe avocados
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup quartered and sliced English cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 lemon, quartered for garnish
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (approx. 1/2 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine (Mirin) or sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Cook the brown rice according to package instructions. Spread the rice on a sheet pan to cool. This dish tastes best if the rice is room temp when mixed, rather than warm.
In a small bowl combine the shrimp, minced ginger, and 2 tablespoons Mirin. Toss to coat and set aside.
In another small bowl combine dressing ingredients. Whisk until salt and sugar are completely dissolved and set aside.
In a large pot bring 2 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add shrimp and marinade and boil until shrimp are cooked through and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
Slice avocado and squeeze with the juice of 1/2 lemon. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine rice, shrimp, cucumber, dressing and green onion. Toss lightly to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Divide the salad among plates, top with avocado slices, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve.
Optional Add-ins: Fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, shelled edamame, chopped pickled ginger.
Serves 2 – 4