I was pretty excited to figure out a good recipe for Salsa Verde (or tomatillo salsa), after a couple of failed attempts. The secret is that you have to cook (boil, grill, or roast) the tomatillos to tame their bitterness.
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed
- 3/4 cup white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped, with seeds
- 2 teaspoons green tabasco sauce
- 1-2 limes, juice only (to taste)
Boil, roast, or grill the tomatillos until soft and olive green in color. Let cool. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blitz to a salsa consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with tortilla chips.
Serving Suggestions: Add extra salsa to tortilla soup, use as an enchilada sauce, top eggs or breakfast burritos, or add to mashed avocado for a zippy guacamole.