Toasted coconut is one of the world’s most intoxicating cooking smells, and adds a heap of flavor to this Hawaiian-inspired granola. I recommend serving this with yogurt and fresh fruit, especially tropical varieties like mango, banana, or pineapple. Or you can add 1 to 1.5 cups of dried fruit to the mix; just toss it with the granola as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine first 7 ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly. Add oats, coconut, almonds, and macadamias and stir thoroughly until honey mixture is evenly dispersed.
3. Spread granola on baking sheet in an even layer. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15. Granola is done when it has turned a pale golden color. It will be sticky upon coming out of the oven, but will dry as it cools. Remove from oven, and spread granola on parchment or wax paper to cool. Store in an airtight container. Keeps for several weeks.